Monday, May 19, 2014

Drawing while sitting on the rock and looking at motionless immobile objects is kind of boring, right?

Drawing and walking at the same time is much more fun.
A sketchbook filled with  very quick (whilst walking) sketches on a very short
holiday,
22x12 cm hand-made notebook,pen.
I was lucky  that I didn't fall too, as the path was sometimes  kind of tricky for me, an ordinary walker :) and I wasn't always looking where I am going, concentrating on the scenery.
I couldn't afford spend more than 3 mins on each doodle.
also it was a good idea to use the heaviest paper I had to make this notebook: I can  draw on both sides of the pages without ink bleeding through.

Another great exercise is drawing from memory. My visual memory isn't that good, I have to pay attention to what I really would like to remember. My tiny baby notebook (10x14 cm) last year was  a mixed bag, some of the sketches were just a reminder of funny things I've seen, like a passenger checking-in his bag, trying to prove that his luggage is a cabin size and tearing the bloody thing in a half in a process, or a boy breaking away from his classmates admiring Piazza Maggiore's Palazzo on a school trip   to kick a pigeon  with a terrifying scream: Piccione! (not really nice, but the pigeon just flew away unharmed). My drawing depicting this even is as dramatic as it was then an there,  and  I like to look at it when I have a chance (yes, I'm that vain) and you could see that drawing on the page 7. 
I started this notebook from the middle, to break the habit of chronological monotony. Did it work? 
I also liked how Bologna porticoes looked like and drew them as repeated motives.
on the last pages a  cat and bird, pig and dog  playing music came from the  manuscript's illuminations of a lecture on  medieval music we have attended. It was in Italian, in a church, with  an organ playing and a choir,  that was an education :) 

I drew Pisa in both books, but I would never ever even come close to the secret of it's monuments and buildings. Next time better! 

Italian Holiday 2013 



Post a Comment